test post 4

I've been experimenting in more modern, geometric shapes and designs lately, and my OCD side is really, really happy about it. While my home has a few modern things thrown in, it's mostly an eclectic mix that looks like a Pottery Barn and an Anthropologie had a slightly antiqued baby. I don't like many modern things because they feel cold and sterile, but I am drawn to those that give off a clean, orderly vibe. The straight lines and cool, serene colors in my newest print (and I'm working on more!) feel tidy and calm, not cold and stark. The colors I chose remind me of specific things or emotions (beachy days, sunshine, flowers) that I love and find comforting. 

The first one in the collection has the colors of sea glass, and the the crisp white lines make me think of things that are clean and neat. I'm thinking of hanging the original in my laundry room or perhaps in my guest bathroom to help give off the "all is clean and quiet" feeling in the areas I most want to feel it. 

Even though most of these are created digitally, I still enjoy the process of composing them manually. I recently broke out the Wacom tablet I purchased back in, oh, December or so, and started playing around with it. Here's an idea of my first attempts, plus a sneak peak of another design in the works. 


The tablet is so far giving me the best of both worlds when it comes to pattern design. I still have the control and feel of a pen/pencil, but with the ability to erase and correct shapes and angles when needed. When I'm painting or sketching on paper, I try to let go and let loose as much as possible, but for pattern making, the ability to digitally maintain consistency and repeat certain things can't be beat.  I'm still learning how to use it and make the most of the features, but I'm really looking forward to doing more with it. Geometric shapes are a new area for me to explore, and I think I can make some really cool stuff for both my home and for the shop. I'm so excited to get started on more!